This game is a vocabulary list challenge in the form of the NCAA college basketball tournament (was used for 12th grade Talmud, can be used for other subjects as well).
Defeat your opponent by earning three points so you can move on to the next opponent and ultimately win the entire tournament.
Number of players
It can be used for any number of students depending on how long you want the tournament to last. This version was used for a class of 13 and it worked wonderfully.
For the seeding: a paper and pen
For the tournament; it depends on the topic. For Talmud all you needed was a place to sit and the Talmud.
Students sit in pairs. It is already determined that the higher seed asks first (see rules). Seeding is determined by an opening assessment (qualifying quiz). Brackets are created to determine competition.
- Each student will take turns giving the other student a word to define.
- The higher seed (the student that did better on the quiz) asks first
- If a student correctly defines the word, no points are awarded.
- If a student incorrectly defines the word and the serving (asking) student does not define it correctly either, no points are awarded.
- If a student incorrectly defines the word and the serving (asking) student defines it correctly, 1 point is awarded.
- Words can be used only one time for any given tournament.
- Upon request the server (asking student) must show the word in its proper context.